Monday, March 7, 2011

What's New?

I apologize for the lack of posting over the last few days; weekends are often pretty busy for me.

So, what's new with the flight training? 

Not too much, unfortunately. In equation form: WI winter weather + airplane = no flying. As a diversion, I've been trying to do a lot of practical test prep even though it seems relatively far off. Speaking of practical test prep, I ordered the King Schools Private Pilot Practical Test prep course off of their website and Saturday; the videos are supposed to get here on Tuesday. I will most likely review the videos when I'm done with them. From what I've heard, they are very informative and well make you pass the test. We'll see if they hold up to their reputation. 

In other news, I have 33.5 hours and will need at least 6.5 more. I think I will be comfortable taking the test with around 45-50 hrs total time. That means 3 hrs practical test prep, and 3.2 hrs XC, plus some random 0.3 hrs. 

To keep the flying enthusiasm going, I have been perusing youtube for aviation videos. I recently found a channel that I really enjoy. The videos are well composed and I personally believe they are under-viewed based on their quality. The guy is a private pilot from Germany who layers techno music over videos of him flying around, facing sunsets and the like. Sunsets, flying, and techno are almost always a good combination. 

I also found this video today. Make sure you watch the whole thing, because it is all real life stuff and a good learning experience. 





Anyway, expect a David Clark headset review, along with a training update (composed of actual flying!) in the next few days.