Thursday, March 3, 2011

Private Pilot Practical Test Prep

So, yesterday I began preparing for my practical test by reviewing with this Jeppesen study guide:

Jeppesen Private Pilot Practical Test Study Guide

On the inside, it's a bit crude, but it gets the job done. There are a ton of chapters covering each portion of the test and showing stuff you shouldn't mess up on (clearing turns for example). Some of the information is redundant, but there is also a lot that I think will help. 

I don't think it's too early to start preparing either, considering how much free time I have on my hands lately. Besides, I am scared of failing so I am making sure to adequately prepare. As someone very wise once said, "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail," and the last thing I want to do is fail my first checkride. 

I am hoping to take the practical test by mid-April (fingers crossed). All I have left is the 3.2 hrs of solo XC, which will be covered in my long cross country (tentatively scheduled for Mar. 17th/18th). 

The route will likely be out to La Crosse, then to Central Wisconsin Airport, and back to the home base. 
La Crosse may be a little hectic, considering there are some small regional operations that run out of there. On the way out there is also a huge MOA that will likely be inactive, but also a restricted area used for (I assume) bombing runs and the like that I will have to be careful of. Good news is that there is a river that guards the western side of La Crosse. If I cross the river, I'll know I'm heading for Minnesota! 

Central Wisconsin Airport is a smaller airport with an L-shaped runway configuration. From what I hear, the tower controllers are friendly, and there is a nice little FBO on field.

Flying this week looks questionable due to snow, but stay posted for updates in the next three weeks.