Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Preparing for the PPL Knowledge Test

Back in August, I wrote about passing my FAA knowledge examination. In this post, I will describe some of the steps I took to prepare for the exam:

1. Learn your E6-B.
One of the things I am most proud of in my flight training thus far is learning to use the E6-B. Although it may appear to be antiquated technology in this day and age, it remains a valuable tool for simple in-flight and ground calculations. I use a mechanical version because it came with my Jeppesen Private Pilot kit, but now I've learned to appreciate it. No electronic E6-B will work if its batteries die, the screen cracks, or a button decides to quit. The E6-B is useful on the test mainly for the fuel consumption, time, speed, and distance calculation. Learn to multiply and divide with it, almost to the point that you can do it without looking. It may seem overkill for the knowledge test, but I remember I used my E6-B to calculate my ground speed during my first cross country flight. Learning the E6-B will give you practical abilities for use in flight, not just on a test.

2. Learn your plotter.
Make sure you learn to use your plotter correctly before taking the knowledge test. It helps to plan a few cross countries as well, in that the plotter is an essential component of doing so. Determining headings can be difficult if you are unfamiliar with the instrument and how to use it. Make sure to use the manual provided and practice determining headings to and from different locations many times. Draw lines and determine the relative headings/bearings to and from the endpoints. When it comes down to it, use common sense. If a heading doesn't make sense on the sectional, it's most likely wrong.

3. Work through many practice questions.
This Jeppesen flight bag/kit that I was writing about before also included the entire bank of PPL knowledge test questions. These questions are provided to the general public and are only occasionally altered. Working through nearly every problem in the book will undoubtedly increase your score on the knowledge test. Also, use sites like exams4pilots.com, which provide a customized test of practice questions. Try to keep doing practice tests every day for a week, prior to the test. Of course, this is no substitute for going through ground school or self-study.

4. Eat a good breakfast and sleep well the night before the test.
Do not underestimate the effect eating and sleep can have on your test-taking abilities. I am a student and know first hand the difficulties encountered when testing with an improperly-rested body. Just as you check to make sure you are "fit to fly," check to make sure you are "fit to test."

Hopefully these steps will make passing your knowledge test much easier. Make the test fee worth it, pass the first time, and impress your examiner with a high score!