Saturday, February 26, 2011

Back at It!

I just went up for around 1.1 hrs today with one of the instructors, Scott. It was abnormally cold this morning at 10F, and -1F windchill. 
I started the pre-flight and surprisingly remembered how to do everything. That was good sign, considering my last flight was 10/10/2010. 


I taxied out on the unplowed taxiways, and almost at the same time, Scott and I brought up the topic of Flying Wild Alaska. It certainly felt like Alaska with all of the snow, and freezing temperatures to match. 
Last night the forecast was 1-2 in of snow in the morning with overcast cloud cover. It turned out to be clear skies, calm winds, and smooth air--excellent flying weather!


We flew out north-east to the practice area for some power on/off stalls, steep turns, slow flight, and emergency descents. The steep turns were rough; I felt uncoordinated. Everything else went very well, especially the slow flight and stalls. 


We headed back to the airport for a few landings. On the way back, I overshot the VOR radial (something I need to practice not doing). 


The landings all felt smooth as butter; we did a short field, soft field, and normal landing. I think the snow on the runway may have added some padding and made the landings nicer, but my flares seemed to be right on the dot nonetheless. 


Mark up 3 landings and takeoffs for the day, along with new solo endorsement that expires in May (this will be the last one!) 


I'm setting a goal to have the license by April 30th.